Monday, December 7, 2009

Greek Yogurt with Honey, Cinnamon, Pecans, and Pomegranate

I received a gorgeous new cookbook in the mail a few days ago from one of my nearest and dearest (and oldest) friends. It is all I've had eyes for ever since. The book is called Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros. It is filled with amazing pictures and so much color. (Incidentally this is also how the book is layed out. Each section is denoted by a specific color.)

As I sat at the table thumbing through the book, Michael says to me: 'So, is she your new nemesis?' Aaah, he knows me so well. There are a handful of things in this world that, just by looking at them, can make me question myself to the very core. Ultimately causing me to ask such things as, 'Why the hell don't I live in Tuscany with my husband and two children who are wearing the most gorgeous red shoes you've ever seen in your life?' Or, 'Why the hell don't I have that lovely kitchen and that stack of gorgeous plates?' Or, 'Why doesn't my back yard look like that?' Or, 'Where did she get that spectacular table cloth?' I'm a very simple person when it comes down to it.

However, even though we don't live in Italy with all those gorgeous linens and shoes and such, I don't think I can regard Tessa Kiros as my nemesis. She's too like the Lovely Clotilde for that category. Instead, I will curb my envy and cook up a storm using her recipes. And they really do look good.

For breakfast yesterday morning we had Greek yogurt with honey, cinnamon, pecans, and pomegranate. I think it may be my new favorite dish altogether. It is so simple and colorful — and even good for you, despite the full-fat Greek yogurt. (I refuse on principle to buy non-fat yogurt. Well, non-fat anything, really.) However, the Greek yogurt is an essential part of this recipe; you need that thick gloppy consistency so that everything will 'sit on it like a crown'. It is rich, but the pomegranate really tempers it with a burst of juices in each bite.

Emilia loves pomegranate seeds. When you ask her what she wants for breakfast, she'll typically respond, 'Pasta lunch tonight! Pinenut seeds!' (By 'pinenut', she means 'pomegranate'.) Being winter (or nearly anyway), I've been trying to keep the house stocked with them. They are a food I want to eat so much of we grow tired of them, and can happily wait until next year for more.

Greek yogurt with honey, cinnamon, pecans, and pomegranate
seeds from ¼ pomegranate
about ¼ cup shelled pecans, broken into big chunks
1 ⅓ cups Greek-style plain yogurt
4 teaspoons thick, clear honey
ground cinnamon

Remove seeds from pomegranate, making sure there is no white pith attached. In a small dry saute pan, lightly toast the pecans just until they become aromatic. (Pay attention to the nuts; it is easy to burn them!) Set aside to cool.

Spoon the yogurt into bowls, and scatter 'a child's fistful of nuts' over the top. Drizzle with honey, pomegranate seeds, and cinnamon. Serve immediately. (Recipe from: Apples for Jam, by Tessa Kiros, Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2007.)

1 comment:

  1. As I am sitting in my pajama's at 1:32 pm in post-rainy Los Angeles, I seem to be missing the pleasure of a bright,fattening and sumptous dish of this greek yogurt to cure my hangover from one of the first hundred bottles of Rosalynd Wine from Rosaylnd Winery in Napa Valley. Unfortunately, the only thing I ever have stocked in my cupboard are supplies for chocolate chip cookies (which I am baking and devouring as we speak) to hold me off until I can actually get to the blasted store to get some real protein in my system. However, I am looking forward to reviewing more luxurious posts and recipes from the temptress (Tonya) who gives Clotilde, Tessa or Nigella quite frankly, a run for their money. Watch out ladies!

    ReplyDelete