Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Swine Flu

My sister was cooking Thanksgiving dinner for three days. That's right, three days. My dad even flew in town, as he usually does, for Thanksgiving weekend. What did we do? We got Swine Flu, and remained quarantined in the house for almost five days.

After much worry I took Emilia to the doctor the day before Thanksgiving. They poked and prodded her, while she cried and cried. And then they swabbed her nose. 'The test results takes 15 minutes, so hold tight, and we'll be back,' they told us. Less than 5 minutes later they were back saying that after only 2 minutes it showed she had raging Swine Flu.

So they sent us down the the pharmacy for some Tamaflu, where Emilia sat on my lap saying, 'Go Home!, Go Home!' Poor thing. Nonetheless, I was very grateful for her Tamaflu, because it really seemed to help shorten the duration of her heebie-jeebies. I suppose we should have taken it as well.

On the bright side, my dad drove over to see us a few times over the long weekend. (He got his vaccine ages ago...) and even brought over some of my sister's Thanksgiving dinner to us. We were incredibly grateful — not to mention very sad. My family is wildly important to me, so I don't sit out family functions all that graciously. You know how it is.

The reason I am telling you this is because I have done no cooking to tell you about, eaten no cupcakes to dwell on, and read no books that I am dying to tell you about (although I have been doing some reading). Just give me a few to pull myself back together again, hopefully conjuring my appetite for life at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment