Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Genius of a Honey Cake


It is so rainy and so very grey today. But I don't really mind. I suppose this is what spring should look like outside my window — pouring down rain and beautifully green. When I went to get Emilia out of her bed this morning, I opened her drapes and she said, 'Not going for a quick run! Not going to park!' And, alas, she was right. Instead we went to the library.

As much as Emilia loves her books, as soon as we set foot in the library she could not care less about them. Instead she deems it the perfect opportunity to 'do running!' She usually then proceeds to thoughtfully stare at everyone — close up, if you don't mind. But as soon as we get home, the girl pours over her books. I believe she is a genius in the making. As for her mama? I suppose I'm just bookish. (Although I don't really know what that means exactly. Maybe I should look it up.)

Anyway, a few nights ago Michael turned to me and said, and I quote, 'You are hot more in the Tina Fey sort of way. Not so much in the Pamela Anderson sort of way.' Now, I daresay many a fine woman would be wildly insulted by this sort of remark, and rightly so. But really, when it comes right down to it, we all just want to be complimented on our intellect and sheer genius, right? (Am I right? Please tell me I'm right.) That being said, I'm still a bit unsettled by the fact that Michael has taken to randomly saying, 'What is it you like about me, Jack?' Not so much that he says it, per se. More because, well, nevermind.

As it turns out, I am quite the genius. How else would you explain this glorious, this perfect, this lovely little cake? Once we were done, even I had to stand back for a moment of silence. It was beautiful and absolutely perfect for the first day of spring. Sticking with our theme of making cakes together, Emilia and I whipped it up after church on Sunday, while dada did the taxes. We let it cool during naptime, then frosted it and had a lovely little tea party. Who even knows when dinner was, maybe nine-ish? Nothing really sounded good after eating so much cake.

Apart from being so beautiful to look at, the cake was (is, actually, as we are still eating it) so good. The honey, butter, dark brown sugar, and rosemary made the whole house smell divine. And that is exactly how it tasted. The frosting was faintly lemon and just the right amount. The trend seems to be too much frosting these days, but it is always just that — too much. Anyway, it is perfect for springtime. Also, it doesn't hurt if your rosemary bush is flowering. (Just try and tell me those flowers don't look lovely scattered on the top.)

The recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros. Literally every time I open it, my heart sinks because it is so beautiful.

Honey Cake
¼ pound plus 3 tablespoons butter
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup honey
1 ½ tablespoons water
1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary leaves
2 eggs, beaten

Lemon Frosting
2 cups confectioners' sugar
7 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 ½ tablespoons water
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Butter and line an 8 ½-inch springform pan. Place butter, brown sugar, honey, and water in a small saucepan. Heat gently, stirring a few times, until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon into a bowl and add the chopped rosemary. Add the honey mixture and whisk until smooth.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. (My skewer was clean at 35.) Leave it in the pan to cool completely.

For the frosting, I think it is best (and easiest) to use the KitchenAid mixer, but a hand-held mixer should work just as well. Sift the confectioners' sugar into a bowl. Add the butter, zest, juice, and water; beat until nice and smooth. Feel free to add more lemon, if you feel so inclined. Once it looks (and tastes) good, spread all over the top and sides of the cake. Scatter your flowers, if you've got, and stand back to marvel.

The cake 'softens as it sits' and should keep for about a week in a covered container. (Recipe from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros. Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2007.)

1 comment:

  1. What a nice post and yes, what a beautiful cake. You are making wonderful memories for your family.

    ReplyDelete