Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday at SAM


Emilia and I found ourselves in the car this morning on our way to the Seattle Art Museum.  There wasn't any particular exhibit we were going to see, although they do have a few right now that are certainly drawing the crowds.  I think part of the crowds, however, were due to the fact that the first Thursday of every month is free admission.  And this is nothing at which to balk.  The last time we went it cost us over a hundred dollars -- what with parking, admission, lunch, the gift shop, and so on.  Anyway, Emilia's absolute favorite thing we saw today was the cars, all lit up and sparkling from the ceiling.  After that was the green man, and then the mouse.  Most of it she proclaimed to be scary, and I must say, I totally agreed with her... That mouse in particular. 

Right when Emilia saw it she ran right up to it and declared that he was a nice guy and probably needed a big big big hug.  I immediately had to point out that it was not to be touched, and pointed to all the signs telling us just that.  But really, the thing is horrifying and I don't mind if I never see it again.  In fact, why I felt so inclined to take a picture of the thing is beyond me, but there you go.  Now you can be horrified, too. 

As for the other horrifying aspect of the museum?  Well, the exhibit simply called Kurt.  It is all about Kurt Cobain and his crazed fans.  Don't get me wrong, I can recognize the guy as the 'father' of grunge and all that, but good grief.  I tend to agree with the sentiments expressed by Michael's old roommate at West Point.  Apparently he opened up the door to the hallway one morning and looked down at the New York Times lying at his feet.  It said something about Kurt Cobain being the voice of a generation, and Squeeze's (yes, he goes by Squeeze) response was, 'Yeah, he really spoke for me.'



I did enjoy listening to one of the tour guides though, who must have been pushing seventy, tell her group all about Mr. Cobain.  'You may be wondering why he was dressed like this.  It was because he was at the MTV...'  That made me smile and was perhaps the best part of the exhibit.


Otherwise, I was happy dwelling down near the gorgeous Italian Room and the rest of that wing.  However, Emilia was much more interested in going back down to the main entrance so she could see those cars in all their sparkly glory.  'They not scary, mama!'

No comments:

Post a Comment