Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sticky Teff-Kissed Spice Loaves


I can honestly say that never in my entire life have I pulled out the beaters and whipped up some cream, simply so that I might have a healthy dollop of the delicious stuff -- all by myself, in the middle of the afternoon.  But that officially changed as of roughly five minutes ago, because I decided to have a slice of the gingerbread I made, and was certainly not going to do it without some cream on top.  I'm so glad I did, too.  Because this is my favorite time of day to sit down with tea and something quite yummy to go with it.

We actually had this gingerbread a few nights ago after dinner.  And, to be perfectly honest, I liked it, but I immediately began to worry about what I was going to do with two loaves of the stuff.  (In case you were wondering, as per usual, I froze one.)  However, to be fair, it seems I've turned into a no-dessert-after-dinner sort of person.  On second thought, I am more of a if-I'm-going-to-eat-dessert-after-dinner-it-sure-as-hell-shouldn't-be-even-remotely-good-for-me sort of person.  But even then, I only like it sparingly.  (I can just see my mother right now.  If she knew this, there would certainly be a look given, probably even a few short words said.  But I can't help it.  I prefer my sweet in the middle of the afternoon.)

Anyway, that is neither here nor there.  What I am actually supposed to be talking about right now is this recipe for gingerbread.  It is from Heidi Swanson's cookbook, which is filled with whole foods -- not the grocery store chain, mind you, but actual whole foods.  You know, grains, vegetables, beans, butter.  That sort of thing.


The Sticky Teff-Kissed Spice Loaves is the first recipe from her book that I've done, namely because never having heard of teff flour before, I was intrigued.  And I can safely say that I am now officially fascinated by the stuff.  Teff is a very small Ethiopian grain that is apparently filled with iron and other such wonderments.  I can't tell you what those other wonderments are at the moment, because the cookbook is currently in the dining room, and Emilia is down for her nap.  So I'll be damned if I'm going to go traipsing down the hallway for it right now.  As it stands, I'm still in awe with myself for daring to whip cream while she is asleep.

The other flour used is whole-wheat pastry flour.  Can I just tell you that the difference between this and regular wheat flour is vast?  I'm talking leaps and bounds.  Regular wheat flour is so heavy, whereas this stuff is quite airy-fairy.  I'm thinking that I will not buy the regular stuff ever again, so long as I live.  Well, until I go to buy it again, because, seriously, this stuff is expensive.  Although, it pales in comparison to teff flour.  That stuff was seven dollars for a teeny little bag.  It is odd how expensive hippie food can be sometimes.  My sister claims that this is an oxymoron, because everyone knows that hippies are tight-wads.  No offense by this, obviously.  I come from a long line (on my father's side) of serious tight-wads.  Thank goodness my mom's genes squashed that out of us.

Anyway, this recipe is perfect for the fall.  Incidentally, it is also perfect for the middle of the afternoon with a hot cup of Brodies Famous Edinburgh right next to you.  And because the cake keeps so well, I may be doing this every afternoon for the rest of the week.  (By the way, if you also decide to do this, Miss Swanson says to store the cake in the fridge.  And, like a lady right after my own heart, she also recommends freezing them.)         


Sticky Teff-Kissed Spice Loaves
Makes 2 loaves

2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup brown teff flour
½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
½ cup water
¾ cup blackstrap molasses
¾ cup honey
1 cup natural cane sugar (I used regular C&H, because that is what I had)
3 large eggs, at room temperature
½ cup milk
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
Freshly whipped cream, for topping

Preheat the oven to 325°F, and place your racks in the center of the oven.  Butter and flour 2 loaf pans (8-inch by 4-inch), tapping out any excess flour.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt, and all the spices.  Stir to combine.

In a medium size saucepan, combine the butter, water, molasses, honey, and sugar.  Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is completely melted.  Off the heat and set the pan aside to cool a bit.  Once cool enough to dip your finger in without shrieking, whisk in the milk and then eggs, one at a time.  Using a rubber spatula, fold in the dry ingredients, in 3 increments.  Do not over mix -- just ignore the little lumps you still see.  Fold in the ginger.

Pour the batter into the 2 prepared pans.  Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the center is just set.  If the cake is over baked, much of the stickiness will be lost.  Let the cakes cool in the pan.  Serve sliced with a healthy dollop of whipped cream.  (Recipe from: Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson.  Ten Speed Press, 2007.)

1 comment:

  1. This looks SO delicious! I've only today bookmarked Swanson's recipe and wanted to see if anyone had blogged themselves making it.
    Now I've seen how yummy it can be I think I'm going to make them as mini loaves, yay!

    ReplyDelete