Wednesday, October 6, 2010

On Lampshades, Vintage Patterns, and Buttonholes



As it turns out, all that fabric I bought a few years ago, thinking I was going to redecorate the entire house with homemade lampshades, was not the silliest thing I've ever done.  Because even though I've still not managed one shade (you try it, then tell me it isn't tricky!), I have made one rather splendid little dress for Miss Emilia.  The look on her face was quite something when I showed it to her, too.  'Oh my goodness!  Oh my goodness!'  It's like she thinks I am her own personal Coco Chanel.  ('She makes pretty dresses!')  And she has taken to calling it a Mary Poppins dress, despite the fact that I'm quite certain Mary Poppins would not be caught dead in it**.  However, we are currently in the throws of making a Mary Poppins costume for Halloween for the girl, so she has decided that it is practically the same as what Mary wears during 'Step in Time'.  (It's not even a little bit similar.  But who am I to judge?)

Anyway, we are after the Nanny costume -- not the Jolly Holiday one.  And we are making quite a bit of progress, too.  I've made the skirt already and I am planning to make the jacket with my mom while we're all on the Oregon Coast next week.  After that, we'll just need a hat (no luck with that as of yet -- although I have determined it to be in the style of the pork pie), an umbrella with a parrot on the end, a white shirt with a red ribbon/tie, and a carpet bag.  Simple enough.  However, something tells me that I am way above my skill level with this jacket.

I have recently discovered Etsy, and the great big world of vintage patterns.  I found a pattern from 1962 for a child's jacket that is sort of in the manner of Mary Poppins.  And while I was at it, I found a lovely dress pattern from 1952 for a cocktail dress -- for me.  I'm determined to teach myself to sew, and I've already got the fabric for the dress, too.  So, we'll see.  (I suppose that I ought to disclose that the pattern used for Emilia's little dress is not vintage, and it isn't from Etsy.  It is Oliver + S, and I ordered it straight from their site.  They have the most gorgeous childrens' patterns I've ever seen.  Just looking at them will make anyone want to start sewing.) 


However, before I start thinking about cocktail dresses, I'd better get this jacket done.  I've looked at the directions for the pattern, and they don't exactly look self-explanatory.  I've noticed that much of my sewing skills seem to be based on instinct (namely because most patterns seem to think one already has an inkling of what one is doing while in front of a sewing machine -- ha!).  Just before I sat down to wing-it with buttonholes this afternoon, I had to sit and look at the Rock & Republics I was currently sporting, to see if I could figure it out.  I did!  Not much to it, really.  Skinny zig-zags in a stenciled loop.  And I did it twice for good measure.  Hopefully the thing doesn't come to pieces in the wash, but if so, I won't cry too much.  After all, the fabric was actually meant to be a lampshade.  Once upon a time.

**I'm fairly certain that Coco Chanel would not be caught dead in it either.  How very rude, don't you think?  Especially considering how much she is adored around this household.

No comments:

Post a Comment