Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Cheering Squad

Emilia and I sat in the big green chair a few days ago reading a great big stack of books before her nap.  One of the books we read was Olivia Goes to Venice by the marvelous, inimitable Ian Falconer.  The book is all about how Olivia and her family go to Venice for spring break, eat loads of gelato, see the sights, and then leave in a dash.  Anyway, there we were, reading away, and minding our own business, when we turn the page and see the pictures of Olivia and her family on a gondola.  Emilia points at the gondolier, who is huffing, puffing, and sweating profusely, and says, 'He's just like you, mama, pushing me in the jogger!'

We were out one day a while ago for a quick run, and I was huffing and puffing and pushing the jogger up a long hill.  At the top of the hill there stood a little old Chinese woman who was pushing her little grandchild in a stroller.  She kept taking a few steps and then stopping to rest, taking a few more, resting some more.  When she saw us on the move, she stopped and clapped and cheered us on.  It was fabulous.

Once we got up there, I said, '..huff...puff...big...hill...huff...puff...gasp...!'  She then said something I did not understand, but which I took to be lovely words of encouragement.  And we were on our merry way.  Repeat the whole scenario about five minutes later -- the nice little lady with baby in stroller going down a hill, stopping for a rest, and us running up said blasted hill, '..huff...puff...big...hill...huff...puff...gasp...!'  More clapping and cheering, Emilia chiming in with, 'Are they out for a quick run, too, mama?  That baby's a little guy!' and so on. 

It was one of my favorite things in a while.  Looking like the sweaty ol' gondolier from Olivia, on the other hand, is not. But it still made me laugh, because I suppose the girl did have a point.  Now, if I could just do something to keep up with that South African Guinea Hen, who also lives in the neighborhood, and who periodically joins us on our runs, then we'll be in business!  And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment