Saturday, July 2, 2011

On Leo Bambino

I was out for a run this morning, berating myself all the while, about how incredibly lame I have become with my blog.  (I know it is true, you don't have to try and make me feel any better about it.  It won't work anyway.)  And as I started the final stretch, a light switched on inside my head, and I thought, 'Tonya, you idiot!  You're on blasted maternity leave!  You are not supposed to be doing all of these silly things right now, for pete's sake!'  But really, why is it just dawning on me now that I am on maternity leave?  I'm usually pretty quick on the uptake. 

I guess it was seven weeks ago -- to the day -- that it all started.  We got a call out of the blue saying, 'Ummm, HELP!  When can you get over here?!  I'll have a nervous breakdown if you don't say soon!'  And a few hours later, I was pulling back into our driveway, with a little baby pipsqueak in tow.  No preparation, no planning, no idea what was about to befall us, no diapers, nothing.  Just a smiley drooly little guy that was in need of a lot of love.  Shocks the conscience, no?  But there it is, the little bugger had just turned five months and seemed incredibly happy (and dare I say relieved?) to see us.  And while it has been quite the adjustment, to say the least (the very least), it has all gone swimmingly.  We have named him Leo, and it seems to suit him rather well.  (Although he does still answer to 'Marmite' or 'that little buster', as Emilia seems to prefer.)  Actually his name is Leo David, but if you want to make Emilia extremely mad, then simply call him Leo Bambino.  'He's Leo David!'  Or, 'He's just Leo David now!'

Emilia has taken to the little guy like a house on fire, and it has been a delight to watch -- not to mention a shock.  I had her pegged for one of those kids that wants to knock the block off of any little baby usurpers, but it was not the case.  In fact, she took the whole change better than we did.  Granted she doesn't get up in the middle of the night to change his scrawny little bum and make bottles, but other than that, she has been quite the little helper.  And I am surprised how well she has dealt with all the confusion.  I will spare you most of the details, but I will say this: Leo Bambino, while being adopted by us, was already part of the family before.  (I'm thinking of trying to sell the rights to Lifetime Telly, as it has really been quite the drama.)  However, instead of being called brother, he was called cousin.  On top of all that, he is also a twin (identical, no less).  His brother has gone to live with my brother (and his wife and son) in the state next door to us.  And if you thought Leo was a silly sort of name (I defy anyone who says such a thing!), you should hear the name that the other one got stuck with.  I can assure you that my mother is beside herself with the wacky names her children seem to come up with. 

But really, the name Leo is marvelous.  Michael likes it because a million and seven popes were called Leo.  And I like it (which is the reason it ever made it onto the list to begin with) because of the book Adele & Simon.  You know, the little boy that Simon does somersaults and tumbling on the grass with?  Him.  (I've actually written a post on the book before -- all about eclairs and such, but didn't really like the way it turned out, so it has remained in 'draft' form, as blogger likes to do, for some time now...  All in due time, I suppose.)  And the reason we went with David as his middle?  Well, that should be quite evident.  If you've been paying any attention at all, you will have heard mention of Bampa David from time to time.  And there's that settled. 

Anyway, not realizing I've been on maternity leave, I've still been trying to keep up with everything that we normally do.  (Except for vacuuming, et al.)  That means I've still been cooking like a crazy lady, but I've been too damned tired to get on here and tell you what deliciousness I've been cooking.  I'm guessing that in the next month or so I will have gained the desire to live once again and carry on full-force.  Or that is the plan anyway.  Until then, I am trying to make naptimes correspond together (seriously the minute one goes down the other is up, and it is driving me bat-shit-crazy), washing loads of onesies and burp-cloths, making bottles, tripping over all the crap we have all over the house, and vowing I will toss every last bit of it in the trash (just see if I don't!), and trying to explain to everyone and their mother why it is that we have a small little Leo with us, and to stop glaring at me because I don't have pregnancy weight to lose, if you please.  Believe me, I've got enough problems over here right now.

And so, may I present to you, the latest little drooly addition to the family: Leo Bambino!  ('He's just Leo David now!')

**I realize that I am going against my own personal rule of NO PHOTOS OF THE FAM in this post, but what can I say?  My goofy face is already on the side of the screen somewhere and little Leo's face will likely look different next week.  Although, I may have second thoughts later.  We'll see.  Also, the poor guy is wearing Emilia's old clothes in this picture (I told you we had nothing!), causing the girl to look at him and say, 'He looks like a pretty little girl!'  Hmpf!  The pajamas are unisex and are called 'Wish You Were Here' from Hanna Andersson, and I love them.  And I am quite annoyed that they have discontinued them, if you  must know.

No comments:

Post a Comment