Friday, November 16, 2012

Damn Baby, That's Cold! (And Some Hot and Sour Soup)


For some reason I have been cold.  Really, really cold.  And I can't seem to warm up.  The odd thing is that this has been going on for I don't know, two or three weeks maybe?  And I don't like it -- in the least.  I am not a fan of the cold or of being cold.  And so, in a stroke of brilliance this week, I made hot and sour soup.  (I have actually made it three times in the past month or so, because it is spectacular and also quite awesome.)

It would appear that hot and sour soup is the only thing that can warm me up at the moment.  Well, this and that hideous Barefoot Dreams jacket I bought a million years ago.  (I've tried to put it in the goodwill pile a few times, and then I always cave and go fetch it.  Whatever.)

Anyway, Chinese cooking is not exactly one of my strengths, yet I have been dabbling in it quite a bit these days. Or as much as my children will let me anyway.  This soup is quite hot -- not temperature wise, more cayenne and white pepper wise.  (This is actually the point of the soup.  Apparently in America we like to serve chicken soup to those who are sick, whereas in China they like to serve hot and sour soup.  The thinking is that it will burn out and purge whatever is ailing you.  I like that way of looking at sickness: not making someone comfy and cozy, but purging that shit out of them -- fast!  Oddly, most people I know don't agree.)  I have been cutting the pepper down a bit so Emilia will eat it (Leo, fat chance), but she has started complaining no matter what.  And when I made this soup a few nights ago, I was incredibly distracted at the time and added exactly how much the recipe called for.  Oi.  I didn't even bother giving her any, which suited her just fine.  Instead she got to sit and eat her Chinese buns (another one of my endeavors) to her heart's content with her brother.  Whereas the grownups got hot steaming bowls-full to soothe the soul, er, I mean purge the body, and to finally warm me up a bit. Bliss.


Suan La Tang -- Hot and Sour Soup

For the pork (I always swap out for chicken, thanks):
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon brandy
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 ounces pork (or chicken), cut into 1/4" cubes

For the soup:
8 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
12 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4" cubes
1/4 cup cubed potato
6 shitake or wood ear mushrooms, cut into 1/4" pieces
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons finally chopped cilantro

For the pork (or chicken): Mix soy sauce, brandy, and cornstarch in a bowl.  Add the meat and stir it around.  Let sit for 15 minutes at room temperature.

For the soup:  In a great big pot, whisk together the stock, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, pepper, salt, and cayenne.  Add 1/4 cup of water.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Add the meat, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring from time to time, until the soup thickens, about 30 minutes.  Add the tofu, potatoes, and mushrooms, and simmer again for 15 minutes.

Without stirring, slowly drizzle the egg in a thin steady stream.;  Once the egg floats to the top, stir in the oil.  Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cilantro.  (Recipe from Saveur Magazine, October, 2012.)

No comments:

Post a Comment