Monday, January 14, 2013

A Cheery Pink Lemon Curd



Sometimes lemon curd is just the thing.  I've used pink lemons this time -- only because Emilia and I wandered into them at the store last week.  They taste lovely -- light and refreshing, not overwhelming the way a Meyer lemon can do sometimes.  (I am fiercely loyal to Meyer lemons, so if you ask me to repeat that later, I'm afraid I will not.). Once the curd cools, put it in an old jam jar with a pretty top, and plonk it front and center in your fridge.  That way you will smile in the morning when you open the fridge to sort out breakfast for two small children.

The recipe is from Dorie Greenspan, whom I love and adore.  It seems a bit easier than the one I've always done in the past, and is every bit as marvelous as marvelous can be. Besides that, it is perfection on a scone.

Lemon Curd

1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
1 large egg
6 large egg yolks
Freshly squeezed juice of 4 lemons

Put all of the ingredients in a heavy-bottomed medium-sized saucepan.  Stir to moisten sugar.  Place over medium-low heat, and cook, stirring all the while, until the butter melts and it all begins to thicken like a custard.  The recipe says 4-6 minutes.  I'd say closer to 8-10, for me.  Keep your eye on it.  It will continue to thicken as it cools.  Remove from heat, and scrape the curd into a bowl.  Press a piece of plastic wrap on top to create an airtight seal. (I am almost unable to do this anymore because of BPA in plastic wrap, however, PCC claims to have a 'natural' one, so I've been going with that and hoping for the best.). Once the curd cools, find your jam jar and make good use of it. (Recipe from: Baking by Dorie Greenspan, Houghton Mifflin, 2006.)






No comments:

Post a Comment