Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Barley & Pomegranate Salad, Which is Divine


This was dinner last night.  And yes, I did feel quite pious, and pure, and particularly marvelous serving it up to my little family.  Michael was gone at a meeting, so he missed all the excitement.  But dear little Leo?  He threw most of his on the floor and yelled.  And Emilia?  She only complained mildly.  But in between her complaining she said, over and over again, 'Mama, does it just make you soooo happy to see us eat this?  Are we going to be soooo healthy because of the pomegranate and this barley stuff?  Oooh, did you see that?? I just ate a green thing!  And I didn't even complain!'  Serious.  It's like they don't even care that I made a divine salad for dinner.  In fact, all temper fits and complaining aside, I am going to add it to the repertoire.  (They will learn to love it, right?)  Besides, it is very easy to make.

Yotam Ottolenghi, my boyfriend, though he doesn't know it, gives an excellent way to de-seed a pomegranate.  I used to buy pomegranates and plonk them in the fridge and then stare at them periodically.  Because really, they are a pain in the arse to de-seed.  But all you do is cut it in half, hold it over a bowl with your hand cupping it underneath, then take a wood spoon and whack it -- sort of gently, sort of firmly. The seeds fall right out into your hand and then fall into the bowl. It is beautiful and I still show everyone the inside of the pomegranate once the seeds have been removed because I find it a marvel of science.

Barley & Pomegranate Salad
200g pearl barley
6 celery sticks (leaves picked and reserved), cut into small dice
60ml olive oil
3 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 small garlic cloves, crushed
2/3 tsp ground allspice
3 tbsp chopped dill
3 tbsp chopped parsley
300 g pomegranate seeds (2 large pomegranates)
salt and black pepper

Rinse the barley under cold water.  Place it in a medium sauce pan and cover with plenty of fresh water.  Simmer for 30-35 minutes, or until just tender to the bite.  (For me, I went about 25 minutes, and that was perfect.  I'm glad I tasted early, too, because it would have been mushy if I went the full 30.  Yick.)

Drain the barley and transfer it to a serving bowl.  While it is hot, add the celery, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, allspice, salt and pepper.  Give it a good stir, and then let it cool completely.

Once cooled, add the herbs, celery leaves, and pomegranate.  Mix all together, taste, adjust seasoning, then serve.  (Recipe from: Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi.  Ebury Press, 2010.)

No comments:

Post a Comment