Sunday, July 21, 2013

Rattletrap Cookies (Dark Chocolate, Chia, and Cordyceps)


Yesterday I ran further than I think I ever have in my entire life.  I am quite stellar sometimes.  Yet within ten minutes after getting out of bed this morning, I had managed to take 800 milligrams of ibuprofen and have my feet stepped on by two small (and very unrepentant) children.  And though I was supposed to go running again today, as per my set-in-stone schedule, I instead opted for a very hot and very long shower, followed by a pair of very stretchy and very comfy yoga pants.  (It has been a VERY long past couple of weeks, alright?)

And so, after reading two chapters of Matilda to the girl, I sat down with the boy and we read Rattletrap Car.  (It's one of his preferred favorites, and for very good reason.  It's fantastic.) You know the book... a hillbilly family who just wants to go to the lake for a swim, but the car keeps breaking down the whole way.  Eventually, after using their wits and their beach accoutrements, they fix the car, make it to the lake, and have a downright lovely time swimming. Michael used to laugh at me for my fondness of the book, 'You only like it because you have a great love for hillbillies!  It's really not that great.' Pffft, like it isn't.

Anyway, as we sat reading today, my body feeling achy and tired from my stellar-ness, not to mention getting jumped on by a small child, I couldn't help but relate to the poor old rattletrap car.  'They didn't go fast, but they did go far. They made it to the lake in their rattletrap car...'  I didn't go fast (not really, anyway), but I did go far (just over 11 miles, thank you kindly), and the view of the lake was/is always one of the best.

As for the aptly named cookies... I am, oddly, looking forward to my run tomorrow when I am back in top form -- and most certainly hopped up on a few of these beauties.  I am shocked by how good they are.  Sometimes experimental (flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants) baking really does pay off!  I would say it was a day well spent.

(Quick disclaimer -- yes, cordyceps are quite nasty and incredibly revolting.  I've been trying to use them in food for the past several months to no great success.  They tasted bitter in everything, and the smell when cooking was like some sort of burnt chocolate.  I kept googling 'how the eff do I mask the hideous flavor of mushroom powder', to no avail.  I was trying to cover the flavor by creating the opposite flavor.  And then it hit me yesterday: if they smell like bitter and burnt chocolate when heat is applied, maybe add actual chocolate -- only a good sort of chocolate.  And there we are!  The flavor of cordyceps is gone!  I promise I could hand a cookie to either child and they would eat it, and then demand another.  Sometimes I am a genius.)




Rattletrap Cookies, makes 36

6 ounces dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cordyceps powder
3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 


Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Combine the chia seeds and 1/4 cup of water.  Whisk, and set aside.

Melt 6 ounces of chocolate in either the microwave (my new preferred method because it is a thousand times easier) or in a double broiler. Heat chocolate just until barely melted through. Set aside.

In a heavy-duty mixer, cream the butter and sugar together.  Add molasses and mix again for a minute.  Using a rubber spatula, scrape the chia seed mixture in the mixer, add the vanilla, and mix thoroughly.  Then add the melted chocolate, and stir to combine.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cordyceps, and chocolate chips.  Add to the buttery-chocolatey bowl, and mix just until combined.

As you place each piece of cookie dough on the sheet, roll it between your hands to smooth it out a bit.  Otherwise, the cookie looks very rough and a little depressing out of the oven. Bake for 8 minutes, and then let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment