Sunday, February 1, 2015

Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam Oat Crumble


It's funny how much stress it was causing me when I first started this ridiculous elimination diet, because I truly had no idea what to eat.  Everytime I read anything about the diet, they always said to eat 'plenty of fish and vegetables'. This is all fine and dandy, and I couldn't agree more.  However, the thought of mucking about with fish first thing in the morning is positively revolting.  This must be why I am naturally more of a scone or buttery/jammy toast sort.

I reeeaaallly like breakfast. A lot. In fact, I sometimes start looking forward to it at 3am.  And so I had no idea what to eat, which meant I wasn't really eating much.  I inadvertently lost a tiny bit of weight, felt like a shitty wreck, got sick, and was completely out of sorts.  Not awesome, to say the least, and also kinda not the point when I'm trying to figure out why I feel just generally lousy as it is.  And so, I typed into google late one night 'what to eat for breakfast when you can't eat anything', and voila!  Here we are!  And my favorite part is that my six year old loves it.  She has been having me pack it for her everyday for her snack at school, along with a small tupperware of fresh fruit to go with it.  And since my girl won't eat a damned thing in the morning before school, this is a very wonderful thing indeed.



 Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam Oat Crumble

For the berry chia seed jam:
3 cups fresh or frozen berries (I've used both, and I've done all strawberry, all raspberry, and a mix between strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry.  The fresh all-strawberry is my favorite.)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Oat square;
1 chia egg, that is, 4 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon chia seeds (Seriously, gross.  As if the word 'chia' doesn't give me the mega-willies on its own -- pair it with 'egg'. But who am I to argue? It is tried and true, and I've been doing it for a few years now. So there.)
1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons brown rice syrup, used for its binding ability
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup rolled oats, ground into a flour (I use one of my coffee grinders)
1 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
scant 1/2 teaspoon sea salt


Like this:
Preheat oven to 350F, and line an 8 inch baking dish with parchment.

Make the jam.  Combine the berries, syrup, and chia seeds in a small saucepan.  Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 10, 15 minutes.  It should thicken up nicely and will continue to do so as it cools.  Place the saucepan in the fridge to cool entirely, or on the deck outside, like I sometimes do. Once cool, add the vanilla.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, brown rice syrup, and vanilla.  Give it a stir.  Then stir in your chia seed concoction.  Now add the dry ingredients, one at a time, and stirring well in between each addition.

Put 2/3rds of the mixture in the bottom of the baking dish, pressing it down and evenly distributing.  Then pour the berry jam on top, spreading evenly. Then lightly crumble the rest of the oat mixture on the top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, depending on how brown you like it.  I like 30 minutes, personally.  Let it cool for 30 minutes or so in the dish, and then lift out onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Store the leftovers in the fridge, and cut to size as you go.

Recipe from Oh She Glows website. Like this: : http://ohsheglows.com/2014/09/09/raspberry-chia-seed-jam-oat-crumble-squares-vegan-gluten-free/#ixzz3QXgJCA2l

No comments:

Post a Comment