Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Smattering of Napa, Part 1 (Kara's Cupcakes)


'We go get tuptates! We go get Trophy Tuptates!', Emilia shouted as happily as can be from the backseat of the car. 'Not Trophy Cupcakes, different cupcakes -- Napa Cupcakes!', her mama replied. 'Napa Tuptates! Oh, boy!' And that gives you a brief idea of how we spent our first afternoon in Napa Valley.

Several weeks ago Michael emailed an article from Saveur magazine to me that highlighted a cupcake shop (among other things) in Napa. I tucked the information into my brain somewhere and then promptly forgot about it. That being said, shortly after we checked in to our hotel, Michael sat with his laptop looking for local cupcakes. 'I think it was on Front Street or First Street or something. 610, maybe? I don't know. And maybe it was called Anna's or Kara's or something. I can't really remember .' And there you go: Kara's Cupcakes, 610 First Street. What more can I say? Well, maybe this, they are located in the magnificent Oxbow Market downtown Napa. And if you haven't ever been to Oxbow, let me also say this: It is completely my cup of tea. It is set up like some fancy indoor farmers'/local wares market. Admittedly we didn't spend too much time there (I've been sorely regretting the spice shop) -- we got cupcakes for the road, had a quick browse, and then sat down to share an icecream. (The Three Twins is so good, by the way.)

Anyway, back to the issue at hand: Kara's Cupcakes, or Napa Tuptates, if you will. We ordered three in all: one for me, one for Emilia, and one for me and Miss Milia to share. (Michael claims to appreciate a good cupcake so long as you don't ask him to eat it.) I got the Sweet Chocolate, Emilia chose the Passionfruit, and then we got the chocolate raspberry (on account of the fact that it was chocolate and had pink frosting).

After wandering around in the sunshine for awhile, we eventually made our way back to the hotel. And that evening, while Michael was out running in circles entirely different from our own, Miss Milia and I pulled the cupcakes out of the fridge and had a grand ol' time. Immediately after that little girl bit into hers I spent the next couple minutes trying to finagle the thing away from her. It didn't work. Instead, I just had a bite (or three) before tucking into my own. The Passionfruit cupcake is divine and completely worth stealing from a small child -- if, in fact, you have the nerve -- which I, unfortunately, did not. It was so moist with the perfect amount of sweet. And the frosting (which was why Emilia chose it to begin with) was vanilla buttercream with coconut flakes on top, 'You want coconut one! That look like yummy!' And, alas, the girl was right. I desperately wished for another.

As for mine? Equally divine, if you must know. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the only other chocolate cupcake that even comes close is my own. (The recipe is from my sister.) They use all local ingredients including E. Guittard chocolate, which has now gotten my attention -- and I fully intend to use it next time I pull out my mixer and tins. Usually I use either Scharffen Berger or Valrhona. However, the chocolate taste in the Kara's Cupcakes is exceptional, and definitely worth revisiting.

We waited until the next evening to have the last cupcake -- Raspberry Dazzle. Yes, it was good. But it didn't have the same effect as the other two. Although, to be perfectly honest, Emilia was a complete frosting hog and would hardly share. Lesson to be learned: next time we go to Kara's Cupcakes we get enough so we don't have to share -- and make sure that at least two of said cupcakes are Passionfruit. Because Emilia was right, not only do they look like yummy -- they are yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment