Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Smattering of Napa, Part 2 (Taylor's Refresher/Gott's Roadside)

Apparently everyone is already in the know about this place. So how I managed to miss it for so long is beyond me. Although, I will readily admit that the whole concept is not typically something on my radar. I think it might have something to do with the fact that it is all outdoors -- you know, picnic benches and such.

Anyway, it was brought to my attention while sitting in the restaurant The Market (which I happen to adore -- the wood bar is gorgeous and strangely reminds me of our bed) in St. Helena a few years ago. Along with my ABLT (that would be the heavenly concoction of avocado, bacon, lettuce, and fried green tomatoes, fyi) both Michael and I ordered a glass of Joel Gott Zinfandel (2006, I think). I can't even tell you how much we both loved that wine. (In fact, it was one of the wines we served at Emilia's christening a handful of months later. And I was so glad when I rather sneakily took one of the bottles from said stash for later. It is sadly, [oh, so sadly] long gone now.)

A little while later Michael pointed out Taylor's Refresher to me as we drove down 29, informing me that it is both owned and operated by Joel Gott and his wife. He also told me that David (that would be the one and only Bampa David) had just seen it on the Food Network and was rather intrigued. Rightly so, I say.

Taylor's Refresher, now called Gott's Roadside (I much prefer the retro-sounding original) is always crowded. Driving past the line always seems to go on forever. That is why, as the rainstorm began to roll in over the weekend, we found ourselves huddled up on tall bar-stools by the heat-lamps digging into enormous hamburgers and french fries. (Despite the weather, the line was still amazingly long -- but nothing like when the sun is out.) Emilia sat, perched on my lap, cramming as many french fries in her mouth as she deemed possible. (She only gets french fries when we travel, so the girl has learned to work fast.) Every now and then I was able to get a bite of her 'meatball', as she called her hamburger, into her little mouth. Once she'd had her fill, I ended up handing the rest of my Wisconsin Sourdough (so good) over to Michael and polishing off her hamburger (also so good).

Right as the rain started to come down, we made our way back to the car -- all three content, all three ready for a nap, and all three weighing a bit more than we did before we got there. All in all it was a successful lunch, I must say. However, Emilia's mama and dada sorely missed Bampa David throughout. It is totally his kind of place. And if it wasn't so freaking cold last Saturday, it is also my mom's kind of place. Maybe next time.  (Also my mom's kind of place: Kara's Cupcakes, see below.)



No comments:

Post a Comment