Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Smattering of Napa, Part 4 (Branches Honey)

And now, for the grand finale ... honey!  (I think there is supposed to be a drum-roll of sorts imagined there.)  Believe it or not, this was the only thing I really, really wanted to cram into my suitcase as we were leaving town.  I bought it last year as we were wandering around Whole Foods (leave it to me to wander around a WF every where we go), and I bought it again immediately upon our return. 

Branches Honey, by Katz and Company, is a local product.  (Yes, I realize we are supposed to be eating honey from our own neck of the woods, as it were, in order to fend off allergies, but what if I also happen to get allergies in California?  Huh?  What then?)  Anyway, last year our little family polished off our jar of Range Wildflower Honey in no time, and I immediately regretted not having more.  So this year, I did the reasonable thing and bought more.  I had to convince myself not to simply buy two of the wildflower jars, and instead got one Range Wildflower and one Citrus Blossom.  (They had a few more to choose from, including a sage-something-or-other that looks very lovely.)

Incidentally, my perfect breakfast consists of: toast (Old Mill Honey White, if you please), loads of salty Irish butter melted and smeared all over it, and then a nice little dollop of honey on top.  Oh, and my ever-present cup of very strong black tea to kick me in the pants.  Mmmm, bliss.  Now, if I could only get Emilia to stop requesting pancakes for breakfast, then (to quote my handsome husband) 'my problems would be solved, mate!'

On account of the fact that the stuff is fancy, and also that honey bees are apparently kicking the can right and left, the jars are not exactly cheap.  (Really, what is going on with the honey bees?  It's fascinating -- not to mention absolutely terrible.)  Anyway, a jar is $10 at Whole Foods and $12 at St. Helena Olive Oil Company.  (The rent for the the SHOOC is most likely sky-high for their little shop, so I'm sure they could use the extra revenue.  And besides, charging a few bucks more makes it look even fancier.  Meanwhile, I'm glad I found mine down the road...)     

As a side note, I've just discovered (via the Katz and Co website) that this honey was featured on Oprah's list of stuff everyone should run out and buy.  How annoying.  How very, very annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment