Monday, April 19, 2010

A Smattering of Napa, Part 3 (St. Helena Olive Oil Company & Woodhouse Chocolates)

It is always the simplest things that make me the happiest. But please don't misconstrue my meaning of the word simple. I do not, by any means, wish to imply infantile, silly, or a simpleton. (I'm clearly none of those things.) Rather, I mean unfettered*, whole, uncomplicated -- even luxurious, if that makes any sense. Coco Chanel summed it up best when she said '...luxury lies not in richness and ornateness but in the absence of vulgarity.' Poetry, sheer poetry, is it not? It makes you want to exhale.

Anyway, this idea of simple luxury is perfection in itself. However, in the material goods sector it can be very difficult to achieve. (Something to do with quality and, therefore, a prickly price, I daresay.) This is why when you see it done well, you must stop and notice. And try not to load your suitcase up too much in the process. (Stinking airlines and their suitcase weight restrictions! Not to mention personal checking account restrictions.  It's nearly enough to ruin your day!)

Every year we've been to Napa,  St. Helena Olive Oil Company is a place I seek out. And they just so happen to be purveyors of simple luxury. The shop itself is beautiful -- stone floors, high tin ceiling, beautiful tiles strewn about, you get the point. (We've only been to the one downtown St. Helena. I believe their 'flagship' is in Rutherford -- looks lovely from the outside, but inconvenient if you happen to be on your way to breakfast at Gillwood's.)

They have goodness knows how many varietals of oils. I don't happen to know the first thing about olive oil, to be perfectly honest. Although I do know a little bit about pressings and such. I also know that I would never cook with any of their oils. And by cook, I simply mean the application of heat. Rather, I use them 'raw' -- you know, as dressings or as a nice drizzle on top of your soup or something. (Sorry, but they are way too expensive for me to go frying up an eggplant parmesan or Neapolitan meatballs. Besides, they aren't really intended for that kind of cooking anyway.) You can sample as many as you'd like while walking around the shop, including their many infusions. I believe their basil one is wildly popular, however, I've not actually sampled it. Although we have given it as a gift. (Never inquired as to whether they liked it or not. Michael said it would be rude to ask, so there you go. Now we'll never know.) They also have a lovely selection of vinegars. I'm currently longing for the fig one, in particular.

One of my favorite reasons to visit this shop is their lavender. Something I've returned to time and time again is their lavender spray. They've just changed the name to Hydrasol spray -- much in the manner of Pelindaba Lavender's, and they've also changed the packaging.  (I don't think they've changed the product.)  I'm a big fan of their old pretty blue glass bottle, but I'm sure the new one will serve its purpose just fine. They recommend spraying it on just about anything, which is marvelous -- including your spazzy dog, if need be, (although Governor didn't seem to appreciate it).  However, Miss Milia and I like it in the morning when we've just gotten out of the shower. She will stand with her enormous white towel saying 'labder spay!' and I will give her little face a spritz or two. She also seems to think that all of my other products are fair game as well -- you know, eye cream and all.

Anyway, I'm also a huge fan of their Hoof Cream, which you are meant to smear on your feet before bed. It is in the lavender family as well, and perfect for flip-flop wearing feet.

Next door to St. Helena Olive Oil Company stands Woodhouse Chocolates. Now, I know that I have professed my undying love for Fran's Chocolates, and I stand firmly by that. However, Woodhouse is on my short-list of second place. Again, the shop is beautiful and the chocolate is divine. I remember telling my mom about the place on the phone a year or so ago. While we were talking she apparently got on-line, found their site, ordered up a pile of the stuff, proceeded to check-out, and all that business, while talking about goodness knows what. I just remember coming back to the subject of chocolate a few minutes later and she says, 'Honey, I've already ordered some. Keep up!' Now really.

Anyway, a box of their chocolates is so pretty that you almost feel guilty wrecking it as you pull out the first one, and then the second, and so on. My absolute favorites are the Fiori di Sicilia (which is odd, because it doesn't seem like my kind-of thing at all), Honey (which is heaven), and the Quatre Epices (ditto). All three truffles are milk chocolate, another oddity as I am usually such a dark chocolate fan.

And there you go, simple perfection side-by-side downtown St. Helena. 





*Michael has taken serious issue with my use of the word 'unfettered' these days. He thinks I've bastardized the word to fit my purposes. I say that is the beauty of our malleable language. (Even though I'm not really sure I mean that.) That being said, I have not strayed from the actual definition of the word. And I quote: 'unfetter: 1. to free from fetters 2. to liberate'. And there you go.

**The quote of Chanel's is from the gem of a book called The Gospel According to Coco Chanel, by Karen Karbo. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment