Friday, September 23, 2011

Baked Oatmeal for Breakfast

I think it is high-time we move Little Leo into his own room.  This business of having the noisy bugger sleep roughly one and a half feet away from my head is for the birds.  Every night it is the same thing -- he is sound asleep, but then tosses and turns and tosses and turns some more.  All the while he is shooting the breeze and having a nice little time, before he eventually conks out again and we are left, briefly, with a little peace and quiet.

This is the reason why I have found myself stumbling in the middle of the night, half asleep, to the couch in the study these days.  I love the little boy like nobody's business -- but I need sleep, or I simply cannot function as a pleasant person during the day.  Michael generally sleeps through all the racket -- only waking when the boy is screaming and wants a bottle.  That is when I totter off to the kitchen to make one, and Michael totters over to his crib to change his little bum.  But otherwise, he sleeps through it all.  Lucky bastard.

So I am relegated to the couch -- a cold hard leather affair (which I cover with every blanket I can locate in ten seconds flat), and my legs cramped up every which way (in an effort to keep them from touching said freezing couch).  But it more or less quiet in this room.  Ahhh.  I can still hear the little pipsqueak down the hallway, but it isn't right in my ear.  I can also hear Miss Emilia open her door and announce to the world in general, 'I have to go potty!'

This morning the girl woke up early.  After her trip to the potty, I got her all situated in the big green chair roughly one and a half feet from my head while on the couch -- beamies (two blankets that Grandma knit), a pillow, and a nice stack of books.  Then as the girl decided it would be a great time for some conversation, I reluctantly got up off the couch and headed to the kitchen to make breakfast.  And that is where the baked oatmeal comes in.

My new favorite thing in the morning is a recipe that takes only a few minutes to put together and then plenty of time in the oven so you can sit back and not be bothered with actually eating it just yet.  (Actually, this is when I usually give Leo his breakfast, kick Governor out for his morning constitutional, pour a cup or two of coffee, and sit around being quite grumpy with everyone.)  Emilia loves this approach to breakfast, because, normally, it goes something like this:  'Emilia, what do you want for breakfast?'  'I don't know.  I'm still thinking about it.'  Twenty minutes later, 'Emilia, what do you want for breakfast?'  'I don't know.  I'm still thinking about it.'  So, this is quite nice, really.  Besides, if the girl had her druthers, she would be getting Dutch Baby for breakfast every morning.  (Oi.)  Or Cheerios.  (Double Oi.)

The recipe is from Heidi Swanson's new and very fabulous book.  Everything I've made from it we've all loved. For this recipe I use regular sugar and I use Remlinger Farms frozen berries.  And I can safely say I am delighted with both.  (Not the biggest maple lover that ever was...well, unless it is on top of a pancake -- but that's it.)

Baked Oatmeal
serves 6

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted and chopped
1/3 cup natural cane sugar or maple syrup, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
scant 1/2 teaspoon sea-salt
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups huckleberries, blueberries, or mixed berries

Preheat the oven to 375F.  Generously butter an 8-inch baking dish.

In a mixing bowl, combine oats, half the walnuts, sugar (if using), baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients: syrup (if using), milk, eggs, half the butter, and vanilla extract.

Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the baking dish.  Sprinkle two-thirds of the berries over the top.  Cover the fruit with the oat mixture.  Then pour the milk (et al) over the top.  Shake the dish gently to make sure the liquids are evenly distributed.  Scatter the remaining berries and nuts over the top.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until top is golden and the oats are set.  Let cool for a moment and then serve, feeling free to add more sugar or syrup to the top.  (Recipe from: Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day.  Ten Speed Press, 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment