Monday, July 8, 2013

Lavender & Lemon Scones (How Absolutely Froofy!)


We went lavender picking at Woodinville Lavender last week.  It is the season for Folgate, apparently, which is edible, but not nearly as fragrant as some of the other varieties.  I've got a great big bunch of it in a vase, and every time I walk by, I hope to get a smack of lavender right across my face.  Instead, I get a soft, subtle, very lavender-y, and quite nice scent, really -- but only if I lean in.  On the bright side, it is perfect for culinary purposes.  I've got a list of things in my head to do with the stuff, but so far I've only managed scones.  (I would love to make lavender ice cream and lavender sugar cookies and maybe even infuse one of those oils I smear all over my skin with lavender and (if I only had the wherewithal) my own herbes de Provence.  But alas.)

Anyway, the scones are really incredible.

I've been reaching for this recipe ever since I got bored stiff with Julia Child's buttermilk scone recipe.  Julia's, while perfection itself, has become entirely ho-hum. I've started to prefer the heartier texture of yogurt in the recipe, I love the way they turn a beautiful golden brown in the oven, I love that they aren't too sweet, and I love that the lavender is more fragrant than flavorful.  The five-year-old begs for them for breakfast, and the two-year-old eats them with a big sticky smile (mostly because his is smothered with lemon curd on one half, and honey on the other).  But this is only after he has come to terms with the fact that he cannot actually have syrup for breakfast -- or blueberry muffins, for that matter.  (Every single morning it is the same thing; he climbs all over me in bed, and says as sweetly as he can muster, 'I want SYRUP!  I want BLUEBERRY MUFFINS!)  And there we are.




4 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
grated zest of 1 or 2 lemons
3 teaspoons dried lavender, maybe double the amount if it is fresh
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
1 cup plain yogurt (I use whichever sort I happen to have in the fridge, sometimes Greek, sometimes not, rarely do I use non-fat)
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 400 F.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, and lavender flowers.  Mix with a wooden spoon.

Cut the butter into cubes and drop it into the bowl.  Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour, it is alright to leave it a bit piece-y.  Then stir in the yogurt and buttermilk.  Once the dough starts to come together, turn it out on to the counter.  Knead gently, just until it comes together and is not a sticky-gloppy mess.  Then, using your scone cutter, cut out 12 rounds.  Or, if you prefer, use a knife and cut them into triangles.  Transfer to the baking sheets, 6 per sheet.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.  I usually bake one sheet at the time, keeping the other ready and waiting in the fridge until it goes in the oven.  That way they bake evenly. Cool a sec, and then serve.  (Recipe loosely based on Macrina Cookbook, by Leslie Mackie.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment